Original air date: March 19, 1998
Middle third missing
• Because Al Gore is such a prominent part of this special, and because I can’t see how a political argument WON’T erupt if I just leave the comments open, all comments in this post will go to moderation and will not be posted unless they are on topic. So please be patient for your comment to appear.
• For some reason the middle section of this special is not on YouTube. I have to assume some rights holder for a movie in that section had YouTube remove it.
• This arrived just as Season 9 had begun, in the week between the debut of 901- THE PROJECTED MAN and 902- THE PHANTOM PLANET.
• I really think there’s a lot going on with this special. Not only is it the realization of the promise of 1995′s “Little Gold Statue” special, it’s also pretty clear that we are seeing the birth of RiffTrax here. Or, rather, the birth of the first germ of the idea that would eventually lead to RiffTrax.
• Movie clips: “Mrs. Brown,” “Wings of a Dove,” “Good Will Hunting,” “As Good As It Gets,” “Amistad,” “Titanic,” “Jackie Brown,” “Boogie Nights,” “Deconstructing Harry,” “L.A. Confidential” and “Starship Troopers.”
• Classic riff: “I’m gonna sink this bitch.” (Ultimately, RiffTrax would do a full riff of “Titanic,” and this riff was recalled.)