Original air date: March 19, 1998
[Note: This link may not work in the future]
(I added the ratings thingy.)
Once again I am stealing the excellent synopsis posted on the wikia page (with a few edits).
Introduction: The Satellite of Love crew receives a call from Vice-President (at the time) Al Gore, who asks them to do a special based on theAcademy Awards. Mike is reluctant until the Veep offers him a favor, upon which cheerfully joins the show, singing the elegant “Academy of Robots’ Choice Awards Special Song.”
Act One: Mike and the Bots review scenes from “Mrs. Brown,” “The Wings of the Dove” and “Good Will Hunting.” Mike becomes obsessed with new titles involving puns similar to “Good Will Hunting.” The Bots are become annoyed.
Act Two: Next comes scenes from “As Good as It Gets,” followed by comments about the poor amount of nominations the acclaimed “Amistad” had. Next comes “Titanic,” and like the movie itself, the riffing on the film goes on … and on …
Act Three: The SOL crew is running out of time, and so follows several quick reviews of short clips from “Jackie Brown,” “Boogie Nights” and “Deconstructing Harry,” followed by a lengthier one from “L.A. Confidential” and, finally, the crew’s choice for Best Picture (in spite of its lack of a nomination) … “Starship Troopers.” The Bots then depart to finish cleaning up from the special, leaving Mike alone on the phone with the Vice-President, who attempts to do some riffing of his own on the movies. Mike feigns approval.
• Al Gore: love him, dislike him, feel neutral about him: wherever you stand, we kindly ask you NOT to tell us in the comments. Thanks.
• This arrived just as Season 9 had begun, in the week between the debut of 901- THE PROJECTED MAN and 902- THE PHANTOM PLANET.
• There’s a lot going on here. Not only is it the realization of the promise of 1995′s “Little Gold Statue” special, we’re also seeing the birth of RiffTrax here. Or, rather, the birth of the first germ of the idea that would eventually lead to RiffTrax.
• Classic riff: “I’m gonna sink this bitch.” Ultimately, RiffTrax would do a full riff of “Titanic,” and this riff was recalled. “Starship Troopers” would also later be riffed in its entirety.
• Best riff: “Everybody dance like Mister Greenjeans!”