Support Us

Satellite News is not financially supported by Best Brains or any other entity. It is a labor of love, paid for out of our own pockets. If you value this site, we would be delighted if you showed it by making an occasional donation of any amount. Thanks.

Sampo & Erhardt

Sci-Fi Archives

Visit our archives of the MST3K pages previously hosted by the Sci-Fi Channel's SCIFI.COM.

Goodbye Sci-Fi

Mike Nelson, Kevin Murphy and Bill Corbett reflect on MST3K's final broadcast.

Social Media

Weekend Discussion Thread: Your Saturday Morning Memories

The idea for this thread came from J. Elvis, who tweeted this:

When I have memories of watching Saturday morning cartoons, this is the show onscreen:

The animated series premiered 44 years ago today, Sept. 8, 1973, on ABC.

I replied:
I think I’d have to pick this.

So here’s the topic: When you think of watching Saturday morning cartoons, what image/video comes to mind?

(How is this MST3K related?, you may ask. Well, remember, the Comedy Channel originally scheduled the show on Saturday mornings. Good enough for me!)

56 Replies to “Weekend Discussion Thread: Your Saturday Morning Memories”

1. Sitting Duck
    Ignored
    says:

Regarding the Ewoks cartoon, back then it bugged my sister and me how they were shown speaking English rather than the C-3PO translated gibberish from the movies. It didn’t occur to us at the time that subtitles would have been a hard sell for a kids’ show.

3 likes

2. MajorMac
    Ignored
    says:

My 70’s Saturday morning consisted of a double-header of Land of the Lost and The Ghost Busters (Forrest Tucker and Larry Storch). Both shows prepared my poor innocent brain quite nicely for the absurdity of MST3K years later.

4 likes

3. Turquoise Plastic Pith Helmet
    Ignored
    says:

I did most of my Saturday Morning TV watching in the 70s, and I practically lived for Saturday Morning Cartoons. I have fond memories of Superfriends (Wendy & Marvin was my favorite season, I love the endless parade of mad scientists & misguided environmentalists), Fat Albert, Scooby Doo Where Are You?, Land of the Lost, Shazam! and most of all the Bugs Bunny/Roadrunner Show. Those were the shows that stuck around the longest, but I also had vague memories of short-lived ones like Isis, Valley of the Dinosaurs, The Hudson Brothers’ Razzle-Dazzle Show, Space Academy, Ark II, Ghost Busters (live action with that gorilla), all of Filmation’s adaptations of live-action shows like Star Trek, Brady Kids, Gilligan, etc. and many more. I’d be up by 7 AM and was glued to the set until Fat Albert ended at 1 PM. Then it was either out to play until dark OR another 3 hours in front of the tube if there was a Godzilla/Gamera pair on The Creature Double Feature from 1 to 4. Once 1 Million Years B.C. was on the 4 O’Clock movie and I had myself an 11 hour marathon! Can’t make it past 2 hours now without dozing off. Boy, am I out of shape! Must be from all that “toxic cereal” someone mentioned that I ate while watching. Oh yeah, almost forgot to mention all those endearing PSAs like Schoolhouse Rock, Time For Timer, Woodsey Owl, In the News, and some random one-offs like Don’t Drown Your Food. Not to mention all those wonderful and often times bizarre toy and cereal commercials. It’s so sad that none of that exists anymore.

4 likes

4. Ro-man, aka one of several possible Steves
    Ignored
    says:

Let’s see, in no particular order: The Bugs Bunny Road Runner Show, the Banana Splits. Land of the Lost. Yogi Bear/Huckleberry Hound/Snagglepuss. H. R. Puffnstuff (yike – talk about a nightmare-fueled world) Oh, yeah, Fat Albert. Johnny Quest. Maybe the best: Underdog.

… wistful sigh …

2 likes

5. Dan Baldwin
    Ignored
    says:

Interesting to see all you youngsters, I grew up on Jay Ward as well as WB [Rocky & Friends/Bullwinkle with Mr Peabody, etc – George of the Jungle w/ Superchicken, whose theme I still remember and Tom Slick]. Adventures of Superman with George Reeves [Mike Kelly: easy to get mixed with Steve “Hercules” Reeves for MSTies], Hanna Barbera, Captain Kangaroo for live shows. Oh, Jonny [sic] Quest was PRIME TIME [!] but fits into the memorable cartoon category [the reboot “real JQ” is a terrible attempt at creating a cash cow from nostalgia]. Some live shows were Sgt Preston, Sky King, Roy Rogers.. ” does anyone else remember the short-lived animated Beatles show?” Yeah, yeah, yeah. ” 8 Man, the twisted Americanized anime about a murdered detective whose mind is stored in a super-android’s body so he can continue to fight crime. ” They ran that on local Access TV for a while, at least 1 episode involving a super tiger[?]
    More I found mentioned: Space Ghost [coast to Coast, too], Top Cat [Phil Silvers style voice], various Gerry Anderson [Fireball XL-5 a favorite, had the lunchbox].
    Mention of Sid & Marty Krofft reminds me of Nick, Jr and their Mutt & Stuff, which had a guest appearance by H.R. Puffinstuff [never watched]. That brings me to my current “cartoons” on Nick Jr: PAW Patrol and Bubble Guppies. You’re never too old to appreciate good cartoons.

3 likes

6. wonderfly
    Ignored
    says:

Matthew Mikell:
    My earliest Saturday morning memory–in fact, my earliest memory, period–is of watching 8 Man, the twisted Americanized anime about a murdered detective whose mind is stored in a super-android’s body so he can continue to fight crime. This US-made opening got pretty much everything wrong about its own show (including the character’s design) but the jingle is hilarious:

In contrast, I remember watching the 90’s version on Saturday mornings on the Sci-Fi Channel:

“Saturday Anime” was the gritty animation that us high school/college kids were into in the 90’s. Thing is, I think that’s what got cancelled to make way for MST3K on Saturday mornings in the late 90’s/early 00’s.

…a little bit more to the topic at hand, I was born in 1976, so my early “Saturday morning” memories revolve around the more traditional shows of Scooby Doo, Superfriends, and “Spider-man and his Amazing Friends”.

1 likes