FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS about
Q: Why can't I find information on these turkeys in books?
A: Because mainstream movie books (like Leonard
Maltin's) only have so much
space (which leads to "lesser movies" being omitted) and
often have limited data, if any, on MSTed movies because
these movies were incredibly obscure or released originally
under another title.
Also contributing to the challenge of film research is
the fact that some were never released (like The Dead
Talk Back), and some are from TV-movies or series (such
as Rocky Jones and The Master) and even failed
pilots for series (such as Code Name: Diamond Head or
San Francisco International). More difficult still,
some are Japanese TV-movies or series: Fugitive Alien
and Star Force are condensed episodes of the series
Starwolf; Time of the Apes was known as The
Apes Corps. Even armed with all this information and the
resource materials mentioned below, finding background info
on these movies still can be very difficult.
Keep in mind that all resource and reference materials contain errors, including DADDY-O'S DRIVE-IN DIRT, which strives to be as accurate as possible.
If you want to research movies yourself, the best
beginning resource for all film research is The Motion
Picture Guide encyclopedia, an expensive, large volume
set which is out of print but may be available at your local library. It usually
contains all the cast and crew credits for each film,
including those speaking roles which do not appear on the
actual movie credits.
Of course, when it comes to the World Wide Web, there is now one Web site that has eclipsed all other movie sites: The Internet Movie Database (or IMDB).
But you might want to visit these websites:
The Astounding B Monster
Brian's Drive-In Theater
Q: What's the oldest movie the Brains have riffed?
The most recent?
A: In 1942, both 103-THE MAD
MONSTER and 105-THE CORPSE
VANISHES were released. Technically, the oldest is the
1936 serial 406S-UNDERSEA
KINGDOM. The most recent were filmed in 1995: 904-WEREWOLF and 1003-MERLIN'S SHOP OF MYSTICAL WONDERS.
Q: Who directed the most MSTed movies?
A: BERT I. GORDON (a.k.a. Mr. B.I.G.) directed
eight: 210-KING DINOSAUR;
309-THE AMAZING COLOSSAL MAN;
313-EARTH VS. THE SPIDER;
319-WAR OF THE COLOSSAL BEAST;
411-THE MAGIC SWORD; 414-TORMENTED;
517-BEGINNING OF THE END and
523-VILLAGE OF THE GIANTS. Mr.
B.I.G. also directed some 15 other movies including:
Attack of the Puppet People (1958); The
Cyclops (1957); Empire of the Ants (1977);
Picture Mommy Dead (1966); and Necromancy
(1972) with Orson Welles.
ROGER CORMAN came in a close second, having
directed seven MSTed movies: 311-IT
CONQUERED THE WORLD; 315-TEENAGE
CAVEMAN; 317-VIKING WOMEN;
503-SWAMP DIAMONS; 511-GUNSLINGER;
806-THE UNDEAD; and H01-THE
DAY THE WORLD ENDED.
Q: As Tom
Servo asked in episode 419-THE
REBEL SET, who is MERRITT STONE?!
A: Tom "Hercule Poirot" Servo, tried an elaborate
"process of elimination" method to determine the identity of
Merritt Stone, only to find himself entangled with the likes
of other B.I.G. regulars Gene Roth and Jack Kosslyn.
Eventually, utterly bewildered, Servo's head blew up,
leaving us (and poor, obsessed TV's Frank) no closer to the
truth. Here, once and for all, is the scoop:
Dark, slender and gaunt MERRITT STONE played the
spider-eaten dad Pete Flynn in 313-EARTH
VS. THE SPIDER; a clergyman in 414-TORMENTED;
a consoling cop (uncredited) near the end of 319-WAR
OF THE COLOSSAL BEAST; and the wigged king in 411-THE
MAGIC SWORD. Note that he does NOT appear in
419-THE REBEL SET!
Looking like Nick Nolte's father, portly, baggy-eyed
GENE ROTH played the sheriff in both 313-EARTH
VS. THE SPIDER and 406-ATTACK OF
THE GIANT LEECHES as well as a railroad conductor in
419-THE REBEL SET and the lunch
cart guy in 414-TORMENTED.
Handsome, avuncular JACK KOSSLYN portrayed a
lieutenant in 309-THE AMAZING COLOSSAL
MAN; the KTLA newscaster in 319-WAR
OF THE COLOSSAL BEAST; Fraser in 313-EARTH
VS. THE SPIDER; and the ogre in 411-THE
Q: What actors appeared in the most MSTed movies?
A: There are about 7,000 credited performances in
the 180+ MSTed movies. Over 300 actors appeared in two or
more MSTed movies.
** HAZE ** GRAVES * VESOTA ** NELSON **
Corman character actor JONATHAN HAZE was in the
most MSTied movies...6! He was the hungry Pvt. Manuel Ortiz
in 311-IT CONQUERED THE WORLD; the
spunky little sheriff-wannabe and saloon helper Jake Hays in
511-GUNSLINGER; the briefly seen
pickpocket in 503-SWAMP DIAMONDS;
the dyed-blond stowaway Viking Ottar in 317-VIKING
WOMEN AND THE SEA SERPENT; one of Robert Vaughn's teen
gang in 315-TEENAGE CAVEMAN; and a
dying radiated man in H01-THE DAY THE
WORLD ENDED. Haze is best known for the lead role in
Corman's 1961 film, Little Shop of Horrors.
Coming in second (and performing in five movies) are
three actors: PETER GRAVES was in: K13-SST
DEATH FLIGHT; 311-IT CONQUERED THE
WORLD; 418-ATTACK OF THE EYE
CREATURES (narrator only); 517-BEGINNING
OF THE END; and 811-PARTS: THE
Buttery BRUNO VESOTA, the poor man's Sydney
Greenstreet, was the sinister Sidney Chillas in 307-DADDY-O;
the henpecked Dave Walker in 406-ATTACK
OF THE GIANT LEECHES; Zebulon Tabb in 511-GUNSLINGER;
the Patent Office guy Mr. Seltzer in 515-THE
WILD, WILD WORLD OF BATWOMAN; and barkeep Scroop in
Another Corman regular, ED NELSON, appeared in
CAVEMAN; 503-SWAMP DIAMONDS;
701-NIGHT OF THE BLOOD BEAST; and
814-RIDING WITH DEATH. He was to
appear in 406-ATTACK OF THE GIANT
LEECHES, but was called away to another movie after
working on the leech costumes.
Besides Merritt Stone, Gene Roth and Jack Kosslyn, eleven other actors did four films each:
SFX-Monster designer PAUL BLAISDELL was the mutant fiance Tommy in H01-THE DAY THE WORLD ENDED, the Venusian monster in 311-IT CONQUERED THE WORLD, a corpse in 806-THE UNDEAD, and the title role in 808-THE SHE-CREATURE.
Occasional producer-director TONY CARDOZA played
the monotonal Harry Rowe in 609-THE
SKYDIVERS; a KGB driver/assassin in 621-THE
BEAST OF YUCCA FLATS; the extremely unappealing Landis
in 619-RED ZONE CUBA; and an
artist in 209-THE HELLCATS.
Character actor TRISTRAM COFFIN was Dr. Foster in 105-THE CORPSE VANISHES, Security Chief Meidel in 106-THE CRAWLING HAND, Michael in 520-RADAR SECRET SERVICE, and a small role in 702-THE BRUTE MAN.
Actor FREDERIC DOWNS was innkeeper Jack in
209-THE HELLCATS; a face in the
crowd in 609-THE SKYDIVERS;
Tinsley in 619-RED ZONE CUBA; and
Prof. Howard Erling in 807-TERROR FROM
THE YEAR 5,000.
Director COLEMAN FRANCIS was the cigar-chomping
spectator and later the Donald Nixon-like guy shooting at
fleeing Suzi and Nick from the plane in 609-THE
SKYDIVERS; chunky escapee Griffin in 619-RED
ZONE CUBA; Sadler the gas station guy in 621-THE
BEAST OF YUCCA FLATS; and the express deliveryman in
L02-THIS ISLAND EARTH!
Japanese actor KOJI FUJIYAMA was the engineer in 302-GAMERA, Onodera in 304-GAMERA VS. BARUGON, Tom in 316-GAMERA VS. ZIGRA, and an unknown role in 308-GAMERA VS. GAOS.
A regular in Corman films, beautiful and shapely ALLISON HAYES portrayed Donna in 106-THE CRAWLING HAND, the troubled Grace Thomas in 320-THE UNEARTHLY, saloon owner Erica Page in 511-GUNSLINGER, and the witch Livia in 806-THE UNDEAD.
Another B.I.G. regular player, JUNE JOCELYN, was a
nurse in 309-THE AMAZING COLOSSAL
MAN; a worried mother in its sequel, 319-WAR
OF THE COLOSSAL BEAST; Robert Vaughn's doting mom in
315-TEENAGE CAVEMAN; and Merritt
Stone's long-suffering widow in 313-EARTH
VS. THE SPIDER.
Known mostly for playing the character Jaws in the James Bond films, very tall actor RICHARD KIEL was a pinhead in 411-THE MAGIC SWORD, the evil alien Dr. Kolos in 420-THE HUMAN DUPLICATORS, the Solarite in 902-THE PHANTOM PLANET, and the title role in 506-EEGAH.
Veteran stuntman EDDIE PARKER was a Metalunan mutant in L02-THIS ISLAND EARTH, Bela Lugosi's double in 423-BRIDE OF THE MONSTER, and a Moleman in 803-THE MOLE PEOPLE. He was also in 406S-UNDERSEA KINGDOM, the serial shown as shorts in Season 4.
A bit-player in Corman films, ROSS STURLIN was the
young oily bearded loafer in Dave Walker's General Store in
406-ATTACK OF THE GIANT LEECHES;
the impregnating parrot-alien in 701-NIGHT
OF THE BLOODBEAST; the alien in a familiar costume in
315-TEENAGE CAVEMAN; and perhaps a
Gimault warrior in 317-VIKING WOMEN.
Q: In what decade were the most MSTed movies made
A: 71 from the 1950's. The other decades: 2-1930's;
6-1940's; 59-1960's; 27-1970's; 22-1980's; and 7-1990's.
Q: What was the most popular location site for the
filming of MSTed movies?
A: Bronson Canyon near Hollywood. (107/210/311/315/317/319/404/701/perhaps
....And finally here's some other questions, the answers
to which you'll find only in the sections for the individual
movies, because I'm evil...EVIL!
Welcome! | Author, Contributors, Disclaimer | Introduction | FAQs
- Director Sam Newfield (LOST CONTINENT; MAD
MONSTER) helmed what all-midget Western? (103)
- What MSTed movie had an extra nude scene for foreign
- The director of what MSTed movie tried to commit
suicide after his film got horrible reviews? (107)
- What MSTed movies were originally filmed in 3-D?
- What three MSTed movies used dinosaur stock footage
from One Million B.C.? (107/210/315)
- What Oscar-winning composer also did the score for
ROBOT MONSTER? (107)
- What MSTed movie actors are/were gay?
- What renowned sci-fi author penned the script for
PROJECT MOON BASE? (109)
- What King Kong special effects pioneer worked
on THE BLACK SCORPION? (113)
- The spaceship footage in LOST CONTINENT is
from what other MSTed movie? (201)
- What do the letters X-M stand for in the title
ROCKETSHIP X-M? (201)
- What actor played the character MIKE NELSON on
TV's Sea Hunt? (201)
- In what famous movie musical did the director of
THE SIDE HACKERS appear? To what famous
actress/comedienne was this director married? (202)
- Who was in both the JUNGLE GODDESS and Gone
With The Wind? (203)
- What MSTed movie's plot was supposedly based upon a
true incident? (206)
- What was Bert I. Gordon's middle name? (210)
- Former actor and current producer (Independence
Day), Dean Devlin recently made a big-budget movie
based upon what beloved MSTed movie character? (212/403)
- Godzilla's part in GODZILLA VS. THE SEA
MONSTER was originally written for what monster?
- What GAMERA movies have not been MSTed?
- What star's career was ruined after an alledged
attempt at draft evasion? (307)
- What Oscar-winning composer also did the score for
- What was the true color of Corman's bat-emitting
IT CREATURE? (311)
- In what other MSTed movie were those bats used again?
- The climactic end to what black-and-white MSTed movie
was filmed and shown in color? (319)
- What MSTed movies were filmed on location at L.A.'s
Griffith Observatory? (319/522)
- What was the name of the character Tor Johnson played
in both THE UNEARTHLY and BRIDE OF THE
- Whose house was used for an exterior shot in Plan 9
from Outer Space? (320)
- What MSTed movie child actor would later win a Golden
Globe Award? (321)
- What MSTed movie actually won an Academy Award?
- What MSTed movie director had his male lover play the
lead in his movie and absconded with the profits?
- Which MSTed actor actually was boxing's Heavyweight
Champion of the World in 1933? (408)
- What MSTed actor reportedly turned down the role of
James Bond in 1962's Dr. No? (408)
- What MSTed movie featured Maila Nurmi a.k.a. Vampira
from Plan 9 From Outer Space? (411)
- What MSTed movie space actor was one of Our
Gang kids from the 1930's? (413/417)
- What actor did the narration for ATTACK OF THE THE
EYE CREATURES? (418)
- Who directed a MSTed movie and did the voice of Boris
Badinov on TV's Rocky and Bullwinkle? (419)
- What MSTed movie actors were over seven feet tall?
- What prop from John Wayne's Wake of the Red
Witch was used in BRIDE OF THE MONSTER?
- Having played a Mutant in THIS ISLAND EARTH
and a Moleman in THE MOLE PEOPLE, what role did
stuntman Eddie Parker play in BRIDE OF THE
- What Texas fertilzer salesman directed and starred in
- What future Oscar-winning director/screenwriter
helped pen the American script for THE MAGIC VOYAGE OF
- Whose father directed him in a MSTed movie, hoping he
would be the next Elvis? (506)
- The song-writing team of Jay Livingston and Ray
Evans, who gave us the memorable theme for TV's Mr.
Ed, wrote the catchy songs for what MSTed movie?
- What male performer was represented in Hollywood as a
female actor, and then under that guise, played a male
- What MSTed movie actor was a male model in the 1950's
and again in the 1990's? (512)
- What MSTed movie is said to be a favorite of director
Martin Scorsese? (513)
- What two MSTed movies ran into legal trouble because
of their titles? (515/812)
- The Molemen from THE MOLE PEOPLE appeared
briefly in what other MSTed movie? (515)
- What MSTed movie had a character name taken from
Jules Verne's Journey to the Center of the Earth?
- What MSTed movies were filmed in South Africa?
- What MSTed movie actor was convicted of killing his
third wife? (520)
- What MSTed movie supposedly was based on a book by
H.G. Wells? (523)
- Whose marriage was already on the rocks when they
made a MSTed movie musical together? (601)
- Clifford Stine worked on the special effects for
THIS ISLAND EARTH and what other MSTed movies?
- What conservative Republican 1996 presidential
hopeful and former California congressman starred in a
MSTed movie, plus appeared in an episode of I Dream of
- What cinematographer was nearly blind when he filmed
a MSTed movie? (613)
- What actor appeared in more non-MSTed films than any
other actor and sang a MSTed movie's theme song?
- What two stars of TV's Gilligan's Island
co-starred in what MSTed movie? (622)
- What starlet was good friends with Nicole Brown
- What disfigured actor died soon after appearing in
his only lead role? (702)
- What legendary actor of action films and Westerns
made his inauspicious debut in REVENGE OF THE
- The famous framed "hamburger" picture from THIS
ISLAND EARTH appeared in what other MSTed movie?
- What movie's ending was changed because the original
one implied an interracial relationship? (803)
- Actor William Hopper was the son of what famous
Hollywood columnist? (804)
- What MSTed movie's dialogue was originally written
entirely in iambic pentameter? (806)
- What made the giant spider move in THE GIANT
SPIDER INVASION? (810)
- What MSTed movie's bizarre soundtrack was released on
a record? (812)
- In AGENT FOR H.A.R.M., what does H.A.R.M.
stand for? (815)
- What MSTed movie had the most credited performers/actors? (821)
- What MSTed movie's production was financed by U.S.
and Canadian public television? (822)
- What MSTed movie character's name is a biblical name spelled backward? (902)
- What MSTed movie had two actors from TV's The Beverly Hillbillies, one from Gilligan's Island and one from The Addams Family? (906)
- What MSTed movie directors were father and son who sometimes used a similar pseudonym? (911)
- What MSTed movie actor was briefly married to Judy Garland? (1002)
- What MSTed movie actor was very briefly married to Ethel Merman? (1003)
- What MSTed movie was based upon the Bigfoot of Arkansas? (1006)
Movies by Year | Titles by Experiment # | Titles by Alphabetical Order
Performers and Production Crew